So many people suffer with Anxiety, Stress, Insomnia, Tight muscles etc. This is mostly due to not using the correct breathing techniques.
Have you ever looked at the way babies and children breath? They use their abdomen as well as their chest to inflate their lungs, giving them a full round of oxygen to flow throughout their bodies. Its only during adulthood that we seem to breathe shallowly and not use our lungs to their full potential. Hence why we feel sluggish, tired and stressed.
We are not getting near enough oxygen to our lungs to function to our full capacity. Hence low oxygen levels to our brains making it work inefficiently. Your breath is one of your best defences against daily stress, frustration living. Once you learn the art of expert inhaling and exhaling, you'll likely to start to feel better. You might notice that you have developed more resilience and grace and just learn to let go.
I have put together Five Top Tips to help you breath better and make you feel more alive. So read on.
1. Sit up straight and push your shoulders away from your ears, sliding them down your back. Come onto your sitting bones so rolling slightly forward. Reach through the crown of your head and close your eyes. Take 3 big deep breaths in, inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your mouth. With every inhale say to yourself 'Let' and every exhale say to yourself 'Go'. Notice how you feel.
2. Ujjayi Breathing. I absolutely love, love, love this breathing technique. Click on the link to watch a tutorial on this and other breath techniques. Its amazing to calm the mind and relieve stress.
3. Close your eyes and come to a relaxed seated position. Bring your mind to your happy place. This may be somewhere at home or on a holiday somewhere. It should be something to calm your mind and bring content and happiness back into your life. Sit just breathing, using the mind to calm your breath.
4. Studies have shown that just practising deep breathing for 45 minutes a week can help lower high blood pressure. This is because deep breathing helps to improve blood flow in the small blood vessels and regulate heart rate, slowing the heartbeat and helping to stabilise blood pressure.
5. How many times a day do you think we actually breath? Try 20,000 😮 That's a huge amount of breaths that we are not using to their full potential.
When you take in shallow breaths, the oxygen content isn't getting to the brain which makes your concentration less. Try taking some big deep breaths to counteract this. It will make you feel more energised as well. It doesn't cost anything, and you will thank your body for it.
So enjoy your breathing.
I hope you find this post helpful.
Let me know!
Have a blessed day!